Wacom Bamboo Pen is pretty cool when you wish to draw and create pictures, digital art, edit photos on the computer aided design programs. I have upgraded my Linux Ubuntu to 12.10 due to the issues I found 3 months ago when I installed Wacom Driver on my Ubuntu 11.10 codename Oneiric ocelot. The driver has been renewed so, there should be no problem in installing it on Ubuntu 12.04 and higher.
If you are using Mac OS or Windows OS, you can get the driver pretty easily on http://www.wacom.com/ or on the CD bundled in the Wacom package. What you need is to connect to the network to update the driver.
But, if you are a Linux user, you need to manually install your Wacom Driver.
These are ways to install driver on your Linux Ubuntu:
I. COMPILING USING .TAR FILE
1. Download the driver on http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
2. Extract the .tar.bz2 file on your computer (remember the directory you are going to extract)
3. Open Terminal (Ctrl + T)
4. Type the following on your terminal, and replace “linuxwacom-0.8.1-8” with the name of the extracted folder
5.Enter your password and press enter. Reboot may be needed.
II. INSTALLING ONLY ON TERMINAL
1. Open Terminal (Ctrl + T)
2. Type the following. There are a lot of driver that you can choose, but always choose the latest and stable version.
3. Enter your password and enter. It will compile by itself.
4. Next, type the following
tar -xf linuxwacom-0.8.8-8.tar.bz2
sudo cp wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
sudo rmmod wacom
sudo modprobe wacom
(Click on the picture to enlarge)
5. You then may need to reboot the computer.
Note that Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric ocelot has still some issues with GIMP that it cannot work properly, but the newer version of Ubuntu has currently updated these major problems. If you are using Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, please follow these instructions:
III. INSTALLING ON UBUNTU 12.04 OR 12.10
1. Open Terminal
2. Directly type this on Terminal (this one has been the newest)
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:lekensteyn/wacom-tablet
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wacom-dkms
3. Press Enter, type your password and reboot after the updating and installation of the driver.
What if you are currently using or upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal quetzal?
No problem, they are working great with GIMP and Inkscape. If you are upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10, the driver will remain the same so you don’t need to re-install it.